Thursday, February 23, 2012

Why Yes, You Do Want to be a Part of This


As I was driving home from work today, I was thinking about life.  I know that you are scared to read on now because you’re worried this post will be heavy and you just wanted some light reading material in between pinning and tweeting and posting and all that other nonsense.

But you’re in luck!  This is simply a sharing post that will not require you in any way to change your life or even consider a new thought unless you so choose.  Hoorah!

So my wandering mind asked me this today: What have you learned about being an adult since graduating college and getting married and paying bills and researching insurance and learning to cook and... well, you get the idea.

One thing I have learned is the regrettable reality that are utility bills.  Every other bill comes faithfully and I know how much it will be and it has been budgeted for and I wave sadly as the money floats away.  Utility bills, however, are much sneakier than your average bill.  They hide around in the mild fall and spring months, and then summer or winter comes and BAM! POW! and all those other words that belong in a spiky bubble, they got you again.  When I was in college, it was a common sight for people to have their apartment windows wide open in January (yes, in Chicago) because the heat was unbearable and we didn’t have to pay the bill, so who cares?  Those days are sadly behind me, as I have been duped by the utility monster many times now.  In case you were wondering, I believe he looks something like this:


Another thing I have learned is that it is hard to make friends after college.  Holy cow is it hard.  I am used to living in community, being able to call up several classmates to "study" with, trotting along to say hello to a friend, or running into people at the Starbucks across the street.  But now I live with a boy (cue scary music).  And said boy and myself live in an apartment where our neighbors don’t pop in for chats or invite us over for their Christmas Cookie Exchange.  We have to be intentional, and guess what I learned about myself?  I’m no good at that!  Ha! (That was sarcastic, I did not really laugh.)  And for you meanies who just thought to yourself that I’m simply socially inept, you are wrong I tell you!  Almost every single one of my friends has expressed this exact same feeling.  It’s sad, yo.

The last deep meaningful discovery I wish to impart this evening is that all those grown-up, responsible events and such haven’t actually changed me.  It’s like the eve of your twelfth birthday when you’re so sure that your life is about to change tomorrow because you’re going to finally be a teenager, whoa x 3.  But then you go through the whole day and at the end of it your mom asks if you feel any different, and you don’t.  I still want to have dance parties and bake inappropriate cupcakes and sing at the top of my lungs and twist my face into every possible emotion.  See small sample here:




















It’s just that while I sing, I also have to write a check.  And while I dance around my living room, I sometimes have to shut the blinds because now I have neighbors who do not appreciate the art in my moves.  But unlike that birthday-party-letdown feeling, I am quite ok with it.  I was awfully worried I was going to have to carry a briefcase and spout investment knowledge, or not laugh when someone farts. (Is this even possible?  Do older people just somehow hide their giggles from us?)

The moral of the story is this: Fear not, my friends.  Growing up, though not all fun and games, totally can be if you want it to be.  It’s just not quite as scary as it seemed. *whew*

2 comments:

  1. No matter how old I get....I will always laugh when someone farts. Always. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha I feel like this is true for me too, but I NEVER see older people laughing. What happens??

    ReplyDelete