Wednesday, March 7, 2012

What's Done is Done...


A couple of weeks ago, I worked Monday and Tuesday and then had an entire week off because of a holiday and the family I work for having visitors.  As the days passed, I found myself with less and less to occupy my time with, and I’m sorry to say I turned to a dark place.

Friends had been trying to convince me to just give it a try; it might spark my creativity or help me get through long days of boredom.  I tried to stay away because I knew what a slippery slope these things can be.  Finally, even my husband asked me why I wouldn’t just give it a shot, and I gave in:  I signed up for Pinterest.

Needless to say, I am now a converted addict, and it has indeed sparked my creativity in many areas, from working out to cooking to filling my free time.  One of the first things I saw on there was a crochet pattern for a scarf, and I used to crochet when I was a kid, so I called up my mom and asked her to send my old hook and some yarn, and off I went!

Considering the only projects I made as a kid were blankets that gradually shrunk to half their size by the time I finished, like this \  / , I’m pretty happy with the way it turned out.  I found the original pattern here.


A couple of things I’d do differently:

1.       Count more carefully.  Some of the “bumps” ended up in funny places because I didn’t pay a ton of attention as I counted.
2.       Use a softer yarn.  I was so excited to get started that I didn’t even consider this, and now I get slightly itchy wearing this…
3.       Try a different color.  I did white because it’s safe and goes with everything, but I’m somewhat of a color monster, and I think I would have liked something more… well… colorful!

By the way, I know posting this makes me a complete nerd, and also that spring has (unofficially) sprung and I’m out of season.  But I was excited to create something like this, so I’m sharing anyway!  Not bad for the first time in 10ish years, right?  RIGHT??? :)

2 comments:

  1. I think you did a great job. I'm glad you finished it. Next time I will have to send you softer BLUE yarn!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like it too, and I'll wear it even if it's not all that soft. It's still cute!

    ReplyDelete