Friday, March 23, 2012

Corn and Broccoli Calzones


Normally I stay away from these types of posts.  I never really attempted to cook until I got married.  I made valiant efforts in college occasionally, but I mostly lived off of Pasta Roni and sandwiches.  Needless to say, cooking is new territory for me.  Therefore, I feel highly unqualified to post recipes or any such nonsense. 

However, since I already shared my…ummm… interesting relationship with food, anything out of the ordinary is quite a big deal for me.  My hubeeba and I also try to make an effort not to eat a whole lot of meat (sometimes) and this is actually a great meatless recipe that is healthy and super filling.  So I come to you bearing Corn and Broccoli Calzones!

Ingredients:

1 1/2 cups chopped broccoli florets
1 1/2 cups corn kernels
1 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
2/3 cup part-skim ricotta cheese
1/4 cup chopped basil
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
Flour, for dusting
20 oz. prepared whole wheat pizza dough (mine is store-bought)
2 teaspoons oil (I use olive oil)
Salt and pepper to taste

Directions:

1. Preheat oven to 475* F.  Coat baking sheet with cooking spray.

2. Combine broccoli, corn, mozzarella, ricotta, basil, garlic powder, salt and pepper in a large bowl.  Stir until fully mixed.
Should look vaguely like this.  MUST use bright blue mixing bowl for optimal success.

3. On a lightly floured surface, divide dough into 6 pieces.  Roll each piece into an 8-inch circle.  Place a generous 3/4 cup filling on one half of each circle, leaving a 1-inch border of dough.  Fold top half over the filling.
I don't have a rolling pin, so don't judge my "circles".

4. Fold edges over and crimp with a fork to seal.  Make several small slits in the top to vent steam; brush each calzone with oil.  Transfer the calzones to the prepares baking sheets.

5. Bake the calzones until browned on top, about 15 minutes.  Let cool slightly before serving.
I sprinkled with cheese, obviously.

I did get this recipe from somewhere, but since I don't remember where anymore, I don't feel bad about not giving credit!  That's how I roll.  Anyway, each one of these puppies is only about 200ish calories, so it's really easy to turn into a healthy dinner. 

That's all, folks!

2 comments:

  1. Yummy! I don't even like broccoli and that looks really good! :) Good work Chef-in-the-Making! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha not yet, that's for sure! I'm trying though! Practice makes perfect, right? :)

    ReplyDelete