Friday, November 18, 2011

Occupy Injustice?



*Ahem* I would like to add another voice please?

These Occupy protests are everywhere, and I don’t know how to feel about them.  I look on the news and see people who are angry, but don’t know what about.  They march and hold meetings, but they mostly just rant without goals.

However.  When I read the postings on the 99% website, my heart is broken.  These are people who are educated, who have the best jobs they can get, who just want to be able to eat and pay rent in the same week.  They have to choose between medical care and a roof.  This is not ok.  It’s not just, it’s not fair, and it does make me mad.

I don’t agree with the way they’re trying to affect change, but golly gee whiz, I sure do relate to them.  I read an article recently that said the problem is that this generation is forced to delay their lives, and I thought- “I know those people.  I am one of those people!”

I know too many people who had to move back home after college because they couldn’t afford student loan payments and rent.  I know too many people who took bad jobs because that’s all there is left. 

We’re all delaying marriages and cars and houses and babies and yes- lives because we know we can’t afford them.  And the thing is, for us to make any other decision would be irresponsible.  I refuse to have a child I can’t support.  I refuse to buy a car I can’t pay for.  But the government and the American society keep pushing us to do these things, so I feel bad when I make healthy choices.

I’m not mad at the banks.  I’m glad they keep my money for me and pay me interest without charging me fees (choose good banks, people! Investigate before you give them your money!).  I’m not even mad at student loan companies.  I approached them to borrow money, and without them, my education would have been impossible

However… charging 12% interest on a loan seems a little unfair, doesn’t it?  Charging a fee for being proactive and paying your loan off early seems unjust, right?  There’s just something wrong with foreclosing on a house when there are 4 children inside, isn’t there?

I certainly don’t have the answers.  I know that this little family is being aggressive and trying to get rid of these debts so we CAN get on with our lives.  I know that I won’t ever borrow money again, except maybe for a house.  I know that I want these people to get justice, but I just don’t know what that looks like.

So for now, I’m just sitting with the rest of the world, watching to see what happens.  It feels like all I can do.

2 comments:

  1. Hey! I'm glad you wrote about this. Part of me understands where this movement is coming from, and it is really frustrating when people work hard and it seems like they're just getting screwed over by the "system."
    BUT. I am also sooo tired of all the people who are a part of this movement who, while getting attention, aren't really CHANGING anything, and who seem (not all, but some) to not be able to take responsibility. It just annoys me that people willingly took out loans and then protest the fact that they need to repay them. People need to think before they act.. and not always shift the blame to someone/something else.
    Ok I'm done :).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Agreed. The people who are legit hurting have gotten thrown in with the people who are just looking for someone to be angry at. But everyone has a story, and I took out loans because it was the only way to get an education, and yes it sucks, but I knew I would have to repay them too. We shall see what becomes of all of this!

    ReplyDelete