Monday, January 2, 2012

Those Darned Priorities



Happy New Year everyone!

I apologize for my brief hiatus; I was busy learning to skydive.  And taking synchronized swimming lessons.  And running a marathon. 

Okay fine, those are all lies.  Really, I was just busy.  The holidays punched me right in the gut and I didn’t feel like getting up until just now.  That being said, I missed you.  I missed this.  Not writing made me realize how much I really like writing.  So thanks for waiting for me.

It’s funny though, that writing on my blog fell to the bottom of my priority list.  Why is it funny you ask?  Fantastic question, ever-intelligent reader.  It’s funny because sometimes I feel like writing a blog post is the best part of my day, yet I choose to do it last because…why?  I’m not sure, but I have a sneaking suspicion it has something to do with my priorities.

I get really caught up in the day-to-day worries, like dirty clothes on the floor or dirty dishes in the sink.  So I take care of those and neglect the things that bring me real happiness.  But today is a new day, and though I have both dirty clothes AND dirty dishes, I’m writing anyway. (Just don’t be offended when I don’t invite you over for a while.)

This little business of priorities really convicted me in another way, too.  I’m scrubbing countertops and vacuuming floors like there’s no tomorrow, but I’m not even finding time to spend with my Creator

What really triggered all of this was my nasty selfish demeanor on Christmas.  I’m supposed to be celebrating my Savior’s birth, but instead I mostly just focused on counting my gift cards and figuring out which gifts to return.  Do you ever just feel grossed out by yourself?  Because that’s how I felt/feel.

So that’s why you’re getting this post, you lucky dog, you.  I’ve decided that I’m going to ignore the little things today and focus on the things that matter, the things that bring me real joy.  So I’m going to write, I’m going to spend time with my friends and my loverface, and I’m going to go talk to Jesus and ask Him to keep right on fixing me.  

No comments:

Post a Comment